Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Materiality

Materials for the Urban Theatre. The above example is the "Swedish Lantern" by Gert Wingardh featured in the magazine "Architect" this month. Other than the blond wood detailing, this building has several features that I had in mind for my own. First, the second floor hovers over the first. The first floor is also all glass, so it looks like the first floor is very transparent. The other detail that I was looking at was the glass square panels at the second floor. I was looking into doing the same but with frosted glass. These panels could be a second skin around the entire first floor, or be used as a replacement detail for the massive screens I organized the site with. It seems to be a natural progression to de-materialize the screen into a detail like this, instead of having massive jumbo-trons on the site. Other materials I have been looking at are metal panels (http://www.alpolic-usa.com/)or pre-cast concrete. These panels would mainly be used at the second floor level. The metal panels along with the glass second skin might create a good dialog between my building and the prudential tower. The way my building is shaping up, it will stand out on the site as an sculptural object. I do not, however, want it to be whimsy (sorry Mike) much like Frank Ghery's band shell at Millennium Park.

1 comment:

enno said...

Nick,

Go for it - I want to see it. Good idea to use a precedent, but in the final presentation abstract the photo in order to make it less object like: limit to either a thin slice of the facade or reduce to "swatches" of materials. This way you can incorporate other examples without having their design get in the way. Also it helps focus on the aspects that you find inspiring by blending out what is not important to you.
ef